Yummy! Eat Up Y'all!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

This is my go-to breakfast on everyday that I have a little extra time. Sometimes I get the process started and take my shower while it's in the 15 minute-cooking stage! A girl's gotta multitask.

Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
Serves one large breakfast portion, or two small ones (I usually share my bowl with Mark...)

2 tsp Non-Hydrogenated Vegan Margarine
1/2 steel-cut oats (or rolled oats)
1 1/2 cup hot water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch salt
small apple, diced
1/4 cup soy, oat,or nut milk (my favorite is Almond Milk)

Heat margarine in a small sauce pan that has a tight fitting lid. Add oats and toast them for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add cinnamon and salt, stir well. Stir in hot water and bring to a brisk boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add apple, milk, and stir. Cook for another 5 mintues uncovered, stirring occasionally. If after 5 minutes, you'd prefer your oatmeal thicker, cover and turn off heat and let sit for additional 5-10 minutes.

I usually top mine with a little of Grandma Pat's granola and a splash of Almond milk to cool it off. Enjoy!

This recipe is from my VeganYumYum IPhone-application. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment